When the sun is out and you’re raring to go on a warm-weather adventure, you simply cannot afford to spend too much time putting an outfit together. Yes, picking what clothes to wear can be a nightmare but there are ways to speed up the process of getting dressed – but of course, with considerations for looking cute and fashionable. Here are 15 cute simple outfit ideas for summer.
Cute Clothing Staples
If you count yourself as one of the “I have nothing to wear” crowd when looking at your wardrobe, you’re either too picky or just don’t have the essentials. You don’t need a lot of clothes to make a fashion statement – just a few key pieces will do. It’s all about knowing how to mix and match. Here are a few suggestions:
- A Silky Blouse. This is a versatile piece that can be worn in any season. Pairing them with shorts during the summer brings a certain level of sophistication. Plus, they also work well with denim. Even better, they can be worn at work or even during the weekends (if it comes with buttons, you even have the option to go for a button down or button up look). The good news is that this essential clothing piece comes in a variety of colors and cuts!
- A lace top. A staple during the summer months, this item does all the work. You don’t even have to make too much of an effort when you decide to put this on. It works well with jeans and with more formal outfits.
- A white shirt. If you can’t decide on an essential to add to your wardrobe, make it a white shirt. It comes in a range of designs, lengths, and fits and it fits in well with almost anything. Want to wear a skirt? No problem. Are you going out in shorts? No problem there either. Are you more of a jeans person? Absolutely no problem there as well. A statement tee in white works too!
- A striped shirt. Coco Chanel popularized the pattern, and now there are a lot of designs available in a wide range of colors. If you were to pick one, a long-sleeved variety works well all-year-round. In the summer, they can transform from work wear to beachwear.
- A crisp white button down shirt. When you want a pulled-together look, this piece should definitely be your go-to item. It pairs well with denims and skirts and there are so many ways to make the look your own: tucked, untucked, pop open a few buttons, etc.
- A boho blouse. This works really well during the summer. Plus, you can opt for the sheer variety so you can be flexible when it comes to styling: put a tank top underneath or maybe a silk camisole or just a bra.
- A dress. There are so many styles to choose from: sleeveless, cap sleeves, etc. They even come in various lengths! Some great options to add to your wardrobe are a maxi dress, a day dress, a sundress, a shirt dress and a slip dress. Plus, you can never go wrong with a floral dress in the summer.
- A cardigan. Summer weather can get crazy and you just have to be prepared.
- A denim jacket. Like a cardigan, there are days when the weather can just get crazy. Besides, they can be wrapped around your waist when it doesn’t make sense to put them on.
- A blazer. For days when you want to add a bit of sophistication to your summer look.
- A pair of jeans. Whether you’re planning to wear a white shirt, a lace shirt, or a silky blouse, you can never go wrong with pairing them with jeans.
- A pair of denim shorts. Denim and summer go together. Plus, you’ve got different styles and lengths to choose from.
- A skirt. You can pick from a range of styles, designs, fabrics, and occasions.
- A ballet flat. Summer wear is comfort wear. And that extends to your shoes, and nothing is more comfortable than flats.
- A pair of gym sneakers. You may not be going to the gym with them, but they go with just about anything. A definite wardrobe staple.
- A wedge. There’s nothing wrong with wanting a bit of elevation during the summer, right? And they go with a lot of summery outfits as well like shorts and denim.
- A pair of flat sandals. You’ve got ballet flats and you’ve got this one. Call this your alternative to flip flops.
- A pair of ankle boots. What’s not to love about them? They are trendy and come in a heel style that won’t trouble you during summer walks. Plus, celebrities really love them.
- A colorful shoe with heels. For days when you want to wear neutral colors but also want to make a statement.
15 Cute Simple Outfit Ideas for Summer
When you have the basics, the next problem you have to deal with is putting together a look that is not only comfortable but also comes with a dash of style.
- Floral dress + sandals – Bright-colored floral dresses are a summer staple. It’s made from fabric that’s comfortable to wear on warm-weather adventures and they come in an array of stylish designs. If you want to make to comfortable look even more comfy, pair the dress with some flat sandals and you’re ready to go.
- Slip dress + flat footwear – Yes, slip dresses work fine as daywear. It’s going to be hot outside and what could more comfortable than a flowing dress? While you can always pair this with not-so-high heels, flat footwear works just fine with slides being a good option.
- Dress + sneakers – Dresses work well in the summer, especially the ones made of light fabric. And although the trend is to go short during the summer, a long dress is perfectly fine for a day out in the sun. To complete the comfortable ensemble, put on some sneakers. That’s one good way to enjoy a season that is best spent walking around.
- Statement t-shirt + formal skirt – This is for when you want to look both comfortable and chic without putting too much effort.
- Short dress + ankle boots – It wouldn’t make sense to hide ankle boots. Or maybe you have an elephant tattoo that you need to show off. Those shoes were made for showing! And one of the options is to pair them with a short dress. Although shorts work perfectly fine as well.
- Shirtdress + sneakers – When you’re in a rush to meet a friend, you can just pull a shirtdress from your wardrobe, put on a pair of sneakers, and dash out of your place.
- White button down shirt + denim shorts + a blazer – There are days when you want to feel both fancy and casual. Putting on a white button down shirt always does the trick but you can add a bit more when you throw on a blazer. Ankle boots go well with this combination.
- Dress over jeans – The look may be a throwback to the 90s, and also runs the risk of being uncomfortable with all those layers. A good way to make this look work is to choose lightweight dresses over skinny jeans. Complete the look with a pair of heels. Plus, there’s more than one way to pull of this look: you can wear the dress open; you don’t have to stick with skinny jeans; and you can take your evening wear for a spin in the day.
- Dress + denim jacket – It’s a combination that has worked for a number of years and it’s a look that is still considered “fashionable” today. A pair of sneakers is a good way to complete the look.
- Shirt + skirt + ankle-length boots – It doesn’t matter if you’re opting for a statement shirt or a plain shirt, it will pair well with skirts of any design. Then you can finish off the look with ankle-length boots.
- Floral dress + denim jacket + sneakers – This is another option if you’re in a rush to get out on a summer day.
- Boho blouse + denim jeans or skirt – Breezy and comfortable.
- Striped shirt + pants + sandals – A great combination if you want a really chill look when running those errands during the summer.
- Wrap dress + sneakers – Fashion is sometimes about making unusual combinations work and this is one of those.
- A button down shirt + short shorts – There are many ways to style this look. A few options include a half-tuck with a few buttons open or a full tuck.
You don’t have to invest a whole lot into building a wardrobe. Stocking a few key pieces enables you to mix and match for your summer look. Also, a key thing to remember when selecting clothing items is to make sure it works well through all seasons. That way, items in your wardrobe won’t have wait until the time comes to use them.