Our family has always loved muffin recipes — especially during the days when we were on a really tight grocery budget and trying to stretch every last dollar and ingredient. Muffins are easy to whip up, usually very frugal, and can often be tweaked if you want a healthier version.
They are also really versatile! They can be used for on-the-go breakfasts and snacks, paired with a bowl of soup to make the meal more filling, or enjoyed as an after-dinner treat.
Over the years, I’ve found many muffin recipes that are really easy to prepare ahead of time and freeze for later. If you’ve been a blog follower for a while, you’ve probably noticed that my freezer cooking sessions often include some sort of muffins or bread. I love that muffins freeze so well and are almost as delicious thawed out as they were right after baking!
Here are my top 7 all-time favorite freezer-friendly muffin recipes…
1. Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins – These muffins are hearty and filling. Not too sweet, but just the perfect blend of crunch and chocolate mixed together.
2. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – This recipe is one of our longtime family favorites. These muffins are so good and freeze so well. These also make a great dessert to add to a sack lunch. Just pull a frozen muffin out and stick it in a baggie in your sack lunch and by lunchtime, it’s all thawed and ready to eat.
3. Easy Morning Glory Muffins – These muffins are delicious and nutritious. They are packed with carrots, whole wheat flour, raisins, coconut oil, and apples. When my friend, Angie, brought us some one day, I took one bite and knew they were winners.
5. Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – This non-Pinterest-perfect picture does not do this delicious recipe justice. Years ago, I used to make this for the kids all the time. They aren’t the healthiest muffins you’ll eat, but they are yummy, frugal, and super easy to whip up!
6. Apple Butter Muffins – I found this recipe online a few years ago, and decided to substitute apple butter for applesauce. I tweaked a few other things and wasn’t sure how it would turn out, but we all ended up loving these. They are SO delicious and freeze really well!
7. Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins – These muffins have been a family favorite for almost 20 years. We got the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine and have been making them ever since! Even though they look fancy, they are simple to make and rely on just a few basic ingredients. And the jam is a fun addition!
Looking for grain-free options? Try these!
Egg & Sausage Breakfast Bites – These are SOO good. And they are incredibly easy to make and freeze really well!
Trim Healthy Mama Cupcakes – These grain-free, dairy-free cupcakes are pretty delicious for how healthful they are!
Grain-Free, Honey-Sweetened Muffins – When I discovered this recipe, I did a happy dance! The ingredients are a little unique, but trust me on this, these are good. No, they might not taste quite like a regular muffin made with flour, but they are still scrumptious — and easy to make, too.
A Few Tips On Making Muffins
I highly, highly recommend grabbing a set of these Silicone Baking Cups! I bought these this year and have been pleasantly surprised with how well they worked and how easy they were to clean and wash!
I’m definitely sold on using these — especially because they kept the muffin pan so clean and easy to wash! These are now a staple item in our kitchen!
Also, did you know that you can freeze unbaked muffin batter?! This is such a helpful tip when you’re in the middle of a freezer cooking session and ran out of time, or when you made too much batter and would rather save it for another freezer cooking session!
What are some of your favorite freezer-friendly muffin recipes? I’d love to hear!