The Starting Zone sat down with Lead Game Producer Daniel Stahl and Lead Encounter Designer Morgan Day to talk about Battle for Azeroth.
The Starting Zone previously interviewed Principal Exterior Level Designer Gary Platner in Episode #249 and before that they did an interview with In-game Cinematic Director Terran Gregory in Episode #239 of their podcast. Their latest interview from PAX East 2018 focuses on Island Expeditions and encounter design in Battle for Azeroth.
Episode #253 Highlights
- Battle for Azeroth is at its heart about exploration.
- You will gather War Resources, so that later on in the conflict, you’ll open up Warfronts.
- Island Expeditions focus on dynamic replayability.
- They plan to have at least five Islands with unique environments and ecologies.
- Advanced NPCs have personalities. The enemy team may be more passive (runs away from you).
- Different types of monsters could show up depending on the time of day.
- Islands will have the Fog of War.
- The weather system has been updated in Battle for Azeroth.
- When you’re facing off against Advanced NPCs on Normal difficulty, they have more flexibility in what they want to do, as opposed to higher difficulties.
- Battle for Azeroth will ship with 10 dungeons.
- Both factions will have access to 3 level-up dungeons.
- THE MOTHERLODE! is the fourth Horde war campaign dungeon.
- Tol Dagor is a prison dungeon that will be available to the Alliance as the fourth level-up instance in the expansion.
- At max level, you will be able to enter all other dungeons.
- Patch dungeons were successful in Legion and we may see more dungeons added to the game when they make sense.
You can listen to the full episode of the podcast below!